Thursday, October 24, 2013

Fukujinzuke

Print Friendly and PDF
One of my favorite Japanese pickles is fukujinzuke.  Its salty, sweet, crunchiness brings back good memories of eating ochazuke with my mom.  It is often served alongside Japanese curry, can be a filling for onigiris and is a perfect accompaniment to a bowl of Japanese rice.  It takes four days to make, but is well worth the effort.

Ingredients:
5 c. chopped daikon
4 c. chopped cucumbers
1 c. chopped carrots
5-6 shiso leaves, finely chopped
1 T finely chopped ginger
1/2 cup salt

Sauce:
1-1/2 c. soy sauce
2 c. sugar
3 T white vinegar

Combine vegetables, ginger and salt in a large bowl, and refrigerate overnight.  Next day, rinse the vegetables thoroughly with water and drain.  Bring the sauce ingredients to a boil for 1-2 minutes, and pour over the vegetables.  Leave overnight in the refrigerator in a covered container.  Next day, drain the liquid, boil the sauce again, and pour over vegetables.  Repeat this process one more day.  Put fukujinzuke in small covered jars and refrigerate (I used six, 8 oz. canning jars).


2 comments:

Ruth Mano said...

Very tasty and interesting to find this recipe. I am third Generation Japanese/American and I thought only my Issei Grandmother made fujujintsuke. She used Japanese Eggplant(nasu), daikon and cucumber, plus added red peppers for a little extra kick. She also pressed the salted veggies in a vegetable press for 2-4 days before rinsing and cooking the sauce. I will try your recipe next year, thanks for sharing it! Ruth Mano

Ruth Mano said...

Very tasty and interesting to find this recipe. I am third Generation Japanese/American and I thought only my Issei Grandmother made fujujintsuke. She used Japanese Eggplant(nasu), daikon and cucumber, plus added red peppers for a little extra kick. She also pressed the salted veggies in a vegetable press for 2-4 days before rinsing and cooking the sauce. I will try your recipe next year, thanks for sharing it! Ruth Mano