Friday, January 2, 2009

Crab, Avocado and Mango Stack

Print Friendly and PDF
While at happy hour with my friends in San Diego, we discovered the most delicious crab, avocado and mango stack at the Chart House in Cardiff. Val Kane located the recipe on internet; however, it was missing the remoulade sauce, a secret Chart House recipe, and chive oil. I was able to find a similar remoulade sauce recipe from Ruth Chris Steak House and the chive oil from Epicurious.com. The crab stack was so good that we ordered two that night and ate it all. I hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:
1 lb. crab mixed with 3/4 cup remoulade sauce

Mango Mix:
2-1/2 cups mango, ripe, peeled and diced 1/2 inch
1 cup red bell pepper, diced 1/4 inch
1 T jalapeno pepper, seeded, diced 1/8 inch
1/4 cup red onion, diced 1/4 inch

2 large ripe avocados, diced 1/2 inch
Fresh basil as garnish

Mix the crab and remoulade sauce. Place a long layer of plastic wrap in a large cylinder mold, and spoon the crab mixture into the mold, then add the mango mix layer, and then add the avocados. Cover with the ends of the plastic wrap. Lightly press down. Open up the ends of the plastic wrap, invert mold onto a platter, and remove the mold and plastic wrap. Garnish the top of the stack with fresh basil. Optional: Drizzle chive oil (see below) around the outside of the platter. Serve with crackers or a thinly sliced baguette.

Ruth Chris Steak House Remoulade Sauce:
1-1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup Creole mustard
1 T chopped garlic
1 scant tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce

Mix all ingredients together, cover and store in refrigerator.

Chive Oil:
1 bunch of chives
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

In a saucepan of boiling water blanch chives 10 seconds and drain in a sieve. Immediately plunge chives into ice water to stop cooking. Remove chives from ice water, squeezing out excess water, and drain on paper towels. Chop chives and in a blender purée with oil until smooth. Transfer chive oil to a bowl. Chill oil, covered, at least 8 hours and up to 1 day. Pour oil through a fine sieve into a small bowl, pressing hard on solids.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to find this recipe! I had this at the Chart House in Melbourne FL last summer and have been craving more every since. It is more than 600 miles from Mobile Al to the nearest Chart House, but I was just about to make that trip just to enjoy this fabulous appetizer again. Thanks, Wanda

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite meal at the Chart House. Originally I was going to create from scratch....was so happy to find your recipe. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this! We just got back from a vacation in Hilton Head, SC, and had this at the Chart House there. We also had to order two :) Anyway, I just tried the recipe out last night, and it was wonderful. I had a little trouble getting the stack to stay stacked (user error!!) but it tasted just as I remembered it. I will be making it again. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a million for this recipe. This is the bomb. My boyfriend and I just enjoyed it so much that we had to come back the next day to satisfy our cravings. Donna Elliott, Melbourne Florida

geo-i said...

Thank you so very much !!!
This is also my favorite at the Chart House in Alexandria, Virginia.
I usually order seconds of this rather an entree.

Anonymous said...

How I do the stack is to remove both ends from a can of the right size for the end product (I use a pizza sauce can). I center the can on a chilled serving plate, then spoon in the avocado, press it firmly into place with the base of a jelly jar that fits into the can, rinse the jar, then I add the mango mixture, press firm, rinse jar again, then finish with the crab layer. Then, holding down the stack with the jar base, I slowly raise the can up and off the stack. Then I garnish. The whole thing stays together much better if all ingredients are chilled.

Anonymous said...

Our Chart House in Annapolis adds capers to the remoulade. When I make it, I put them in the mango mix. Yum.

Anonymous said...

loved this at the chart house and my mouth watered to have it again ...and to be able to bring it to parties and impress my friends!!!!!

Anonymous said...

We have been enjoying this appetizer for years in Jupiter FLorida at the Crab House. We actually share that and a few other appetizers and that is our dinner. It is amazing!!! SO glad I found it. Bet somebody at the Crab House has some experience at a Chart House somewhere!!! So glad they landed in Jupiter!

Anonymous said...

We order this appetizer each time we go to the Chart House in Philadelphia. Thank you for posting this on your website as we are trying it at home tonight for the first time.

CathyA said...

How many stacks does this make?

Karen Loase said...

This recipe makes approximately four stacks depending on the size of your mold.

Maisi said...

Thanks for sharing!! My favorite thing at CH too! Excited to try this at home!